How to Add or Remove Computer from the Navigation Pane in Windows 8 Explorer
Information: This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Computer from the navigation pane of Windows Explorer for all users in Windows 8. You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.
Note: This will also add or remove the default Computer desktop icon as well even if checked there.
EXAMPLE: "Computer" in Navigation Pane of Windows 8 NOTE: This is the Computer group added (default) and removed from the Navigation Pane.
1. From the Start or Apps screen, start and finish typing regedit, and press Enter.
2. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.
3. In regedit, navigate to the location below, then do step 4 or 5 below for what you would like to do.
4. To Add "Computer" to the Navigation Pane in Windows 8 NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) Do step 4B or 4C below. B) In the right pane of ShellFolder, right click or press and hold on Attributes (if there), click on Delete and Yes, and go to step 4D below. OR C) In the right pane of ShellFolder, double click on Attributes (if there) to modify it, type in b084010c, click on OK, and go to step 4D below.
D) If you have a 64-bit Windows 8 installed go to step 6 below. E)
5. To Remove "Computer" from the Navigation Pane in Windows 8
A) If you have not already, then in the left pane of regedit, take ownership of and set permissions to "Allow" the Administrators group "Full control" of the ShellFolder registry key. B) In the right pane of ShellFolder, right click or press and hold on a empty space and click on New and DWORD (32-bit) Value. Type Attributes and press Enter. NOTE: If Attributes is already here, then you can skip this step and go to step 5C below instead. C) In the right pane of ShellFolder, double click on Attributes to modify it, type in b094010c, click on OK.
D) If you have a 64-bit Windows 8 installed go to step 6 below. E) If you have a 32-bit Windows 8 installed go to step 7 below.
6. If you have 64-bit Windows 8 Installed
Referral Web Links: